The character the player controls through the main game of Hollow Knight.
At the beginning of the game, the Knight is equipped with only its Old Nail and the ability to heal itself using SOUL. Throughout the game, the Knight gains access to new powers and items to help them through their journey.
Health and SOUL
Health is represented as masks, shown in the upper-left corner of the screen. The Knight starts the game with 5 masks, and can obtain more by collecting Mask Shards. 4 Mask Shards make one new mask of health, up to a max of 9 total masks of health. Health is lost by taking damage, either from Enemies or from environmental hazards. Health can be regained by resting at a Bench or using Focus.
Lifeblood masks, granted by Lifeseeds and certain Charms, are temporary masks that cannot be healed using Focus. Lifeblood masks granted by Lifeseeds will not regenerate upon resting at a bench, whereas those granted by Charms will regenerate.
See SOUL for more info
SOUL is represented as a circular mask to the left of the health indicator. SOUL is used to cast Spells, as well as heal health using Focus. Striking enemies with the Nail is the primary source of regaining SOUL, though other tools and objects also grant SOUL.
Upgrades and Equipment
|The Knight's main weapon, able to swing in any direction. Nail Bouncing, or striking an enemy or hazard with the nail while in the air, is a useful tool for traversing Hallownest. The Knight can upgrade it for stronger strikes, as well as learn charged attacks called Nail Arts from the Nailmasters.||Special trinkets acquired through adventuring or by purchasing from other bugs. By equipping them on available Notches, Charms enhance the Knight's power through a variety of different methods, including increasing health, reducing heal times, spawning allied hatchlings, and more.|
|First acquired from the Snail Shaman, these magical attacks deal large amounts of damage in short bursts, at the cost of using the Knight's SOUL meter. Each Spell can be upgraded to a stronger version by finding hidden rooms throughout Hallownest.||Skills and tools found throughout Hallownest that allow the Knight to more effectively traverse the terrain and engage enemies in combat, including dashing, wall-jumping, and flying.|
- The Knight's design is taken from Team Cherry's first game, Hungry Knight, which was made during a Game Jam that started the company.
- While the two games are very different, Team Cherry has stated that they "liked the main character and the general aesthetic so much that we fleshed it out and expanded on it."
- Mister Mushroom makes reference to the Hungry Knight in his first dialogue with them, saying "...It's nice that you were able to help your friend. So you're not hungry any more?"
- The Knight, as with most of its kind, has no gender.
- The Steam Trading Card refers to The Knight as "Hollow Knight," though this is most likely only to avoid spoiling the identity of the true Hollow Knight.
- It appears that The Knight is not the sole survivor of the vessels' demise, as a similar vessel appears in Hornet's arena in Greenpath and several are found in Nosk's Cave in Deepnest.
- When The Knight has one health left, Void particles can be seen floating off it, and its posture changes from upright to a bent over, gasping stance.