It is presumed that she is the Queen of Hallownest, due to her location, dialogue and context clues in and out of the game (see Trivia).
I'll offer fair warning. The Vessel may itself be weak, but it is much empowered by that force within. To claim its role requires strength of some magnitude. Prepare yourself well before attempting the task.Do I seem prisoner here? If so, it's not by any choice but my own. These bindings about me, I've chosen to erect. There is some shame I feel from my own part in the deed, and this method guarantees it cease. I still feel that urge you see. I always will. A voracious desire to spread seeds upon the land, to propogate myself, to breed.
Having met Hornet
After acquiring Kingsoul
After acquiring Void Heart
When wearing Defender's Crest
...That scent. Does another travel with you? Is that you Ogrim, my mighty Knight? I cannot see you, but then time has clouded my eyes and I cannot see much. Even your booming voice falls silent upon me. Only this small one I register, if maybe because it shares some piece of myself. This one stands clear upon a misted world. Ah.... But my my, that potent smell does recall such joyous memory. Only a short moment we had together, compared to ruin now endured, but what shining times they were. I am grateful you would visit, even if to see me in somewhat faded form.Dear Ogrim, I'm sure you saw Dryya on the way in? She's stood guard over me for so long. Despite her hard front, she's always been a caring type. I'm sure she'll much enjoy a Knights' reunion.
While wearing GrimmchildAhh, that creature beside. It would be naive to claim it friend, though you two share a... similarity? It is a distant link, one words would strain to convey.For it to cling to you now... You've been consumed in the ritual of that scarlet clan.In what poor moment they descend upon our ruin. Aid their propagation, if you so choose, but do not renege on the larger task this kingdom implores.
While wearing Grimmchild in its final phaseYour companion's eyes burn with a familiar flame... Success then for the scarlet heart, and irony, to use my spawn to grow its own.I know you creature, and the form time shall bring. You may be all and one, clan and master, but this land shall never bear so foreign a king.
- The White Lady appears to be immortal, or at least capable of extreme longevity, as she has remained bound inside the structure since before the fall of Hallownest.
- The White Lady is most likely the Queen of Hallownest. Evidence pointing to this are the following:
- In a Kickstarter update, detail about a Great Knight mentions the Queen: "...She was driven mad by her Queen lost and the garden overrun." It is clear that the Knight in question defended the Queen, who later died. In the game, the White Lady does not seem to be aware of the Knight's passing: "I'm sure you saw Dryya on the way in? She's stood guard over me for so long. Despite her hard front, she's always been a caring type. I'm sure she'll much enjoy a Knights' reunion."
- The White Lady's dialogue mentions a dalliance (a standard sexual relationship) with the Wyrm, which we know is the King of Hallownest.
- In the game files, the White Lady is referred to as "Queen".
- She gifts one half of the Kingsoul, a "holy charm symbolising a union between higher beings". The other half is acquired from the Pale King's corpse within the White Palace.
- A room in the White Palace holds a throne-like chair with the imprint of a tree that strongly resembles the White Lady's body.
6. In the youtube video on the channel of team cherry: "Hollow Knight: A Weird And Wonderful World Trailer", early footage of the gruzz mother fight was shown, with in the background, a statue depicting the pale king standing next to the white lady, who is also standing next to a broken statue, implying that early on in development, the white lady was already meant to the queen of hallownest