Once the home of the Pale King, at an unknown point the Palace, according to Relic Seeker Lemm, vanished.
The White Palace is primarily a platforming challenge, however completing this area is required for 100% runs and to unlock The Radiance boss fight.
Points of Interest
- There are several hidden platforming skips that the player may use, however, some of these have been patched out.
- The White Palace contains sets of difficult platforming sections, therefore it is advised to use a good combination of Charms:
- Hiveblood: allows the player to wait out healing between platforming sections if damaged
- Longnail/Mark of Pride: they provide a bigger window for the player to nail-pogo on top of saw blades
- Deep Focus: allows the player to heal double, albeit half as slow
- Grubsong: provides a good amount of SOUL for taking damage.
- Grubberfly's Elegy: provides an increased percentage of SOUL recovered when equipped with Grubsong. Combined with Deep Focus, this is enough to heal fully after two hits.
- Quick Slash: allows the player to spam the downward strike lots of times without worrying about missing the timing.
- Dashmaster allows the player to easily complete one section in which you fall between sets of retracting spikes.
The Grimm Troupe Content
Sub-area: Path of Pain
A secret, extra-challenging section of the White Palace, hidden behind a breakable wall (pathway opens despite being invisible) at the beginning of the first buzz-saw room on the second floor, above the large room with a bench in the middle. Completing this area unlocks a special cutscene depicting The Pale King and a younger version of The Hollow Knight, alongside a Journal Entry for the Seal of Binding. Note that after the challenge is completed, the Path of Pain becomes inaccessible.
The Path of Pain is made up of several sections each separated by an infinitely usable Soul Totem depicting The Hollow Knight. Platforming here is heavily difficult and requires excessive aerial and wall movement, as well as requiring the Nail to be swung towards most of the mobile hazards to gain height. There are many buzz-saws, spikes, and small wall sections, alongside thorns on the sides of most sections. After all platforming sections, the player will fall down a pit into a room surrounded by thorns on the walls. In this room are two Kingsmoulds which the player must defeat in order to finally reach the end of the challenge.
Points of Interest
- The Soul Totems in this area as mentioned earlier, grant an endless supply of SOUL to the Knight, allowing for plenty of healing after each section.
- Hiveblood is excessively useful in sections when there are no Soul Totems.
- Combining Mark of Pride, Quick Slash, and Longnail can help immensely with the sections where using the nail to gain height is necessary, as that gives more time to swing the nail at hazards like buzz-saws and metal spikes.
- It is recommended to defeat the Kingsmoulds at the end by using Desolate Dive or Descending Dark, as using these spells makes the Knight immune to damage for several frames. Having Shaman Stone equipped can help with dealing more damage.
- In the Path of Pain, Hiveblood and Deep Focus are incredibly useful charms as players can wait as long as they want in a respawning section for automatic healing. Adding Grubsong to the charm setup can give a good amount of soul when taking damage and automatically heal with the Hiveblood charm.